Research and Development
MegaChips uses innovative core technologies to create unique products in image processing, audio and communications that enable everyday life
We research and develop applied technologies that allow our customers to differentiate their products from competitors' products.
R&D Policy:Provide the system ICs for image processing, audio, and communications, and semiconductors for specific purposes in the IoT field, as well as innovative applications using these products.
Technology Platforms Designed for People and Engineered for Performance
The major strength of MegaChips lies in our technology platform business development, which is based on advanced proprietary technologies.
We apply our core technology in the areas of image processing, audio and communications because they enhance everyday life. Based on our unique algorithms and architectures created and accumulated over many years in these areas, we are continuing to research and develop basic and applied technologies that are responsive to our customers’ needs and allow them to achieve product differentiation. We offer them innovative functions that enable quick and efficient development with ultra-small system ICs featuring very low power consumption.
Leading the trend towards more compact sized SoCs
Smaller circuits offer many advantages for our customers, including energy savings and broader applications.
Major R&D themes
MegaChips focuses its resources on research and development in the areas of images, audio and communications. In the areas of gaming and entertainment consoles, digital cameras and LCD panels, we develop SoC products and basic technologies.
Development of basic technologies
- Status estimation technology
- Image recognition technology
- In-vehicle image recognition algorithm
Development of SoC products
- SoC for storing game software for portable game consoles
- SoC for digital cameras
- Timing controller SoC for liquid crystal panels
- Intellectual property core and SoC for optical communications
- Analog front-end SoC
- Intelligent sensor hub SoC
- Smart Connectivity SoC (DisplayPort) products
- MEMS timing devices
- SoC for wired (coaxial and power line) multi-hop communications
Development of other products
- Expansion of the functionality of and custom development of full digital video recording and transmission systems
- Development of an additional product lineup for surveillance camera systems
Intellectual Property Strategy
Since MegaChips is a fabless manufacturer, our ideas, expertise, and other intellectual property derived from R&D activities constitute the foundation of our competitive advantage. Protecting our intellectual property rights will, therefore, lead to greater competitiveness and growth potential.
In the fiscal year ended March 31, 2016, we filed patent applications such as image processing/data transfer for a liquid crystal panel controller, security for game consoles, wearable device/sensor technologies, and image recognition. Applications were also submitted for the patents for the basic and applied technologies for status estimation and deep learning/machine learning.
Patent Applications and Registrations by Region *1
- The number of cases shown are the cumulative total as of the end of March 2015.
- "Others" denotes the number of applications for patents that are valid under international patent treaties in multiple countries where MegaChips may begin operations in the future.